http://guitaretudes.com/forums/topic/my-practice-routine/

My Practice Routine

Home Forums Technique & Practice Routines My Practice Routine

Discussion forum - Estudio en Em etudes

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ariel Alba 11 months, 1 week ago.

Discussion

• [email protected]
    Participant
    Shred Points: 72
    Journeyman Shredder
    [email protected]

Lately I’ve been putting a lot of practice in, so of course my back is starting to ache a bunch. I’ve been trying new things like taking a short five minute break after twenty minutes of intense focus. I’ve also started to begin all of my practice sessions with a good stretch. Anyone else have any ideas that you think I should incorporate into my practice routine?

• Ross Phillips
    Keymaster
    Shred Points: 248
    Starving Artist
    Ross Phillips

Caleb, are you using any kind of support?

I had a lot of back issues when I started ramping up my daily practice during undergrad, and really the only thing that helped was stretching several times per day. I used to wake up and stretch, then stop periodically during practice sessions and throughout the day to do more toe-touching type exercises.

Eventually it worked out and my body finally got used to the new routine.

What are you working on these days?

• [email protected]
    Participant
    Shred Points: 72
    Journeyman Shredder
    [email protected]

Yeah, I’m using a Barnett guitar support.

I also stretch several times a day to try to alleviate some of that discomfort. I honestly might try picking up yoga and see if that helps any. Someone else recomended specifically working on my back muscles whenever I exercise. I think I’m going to try that too.

This semester I’ve learning Carcassi etude 5, Ponce Preludes 1, 2, 5, and 8, Villa-Lobos Etude 1, Sor 7, and I just started working on Suite Venezolana by Antonio Lauro! I’ve been keeping pretty busy lately.

• Ross Phillips
      Keymaster
      Shred Points: 248
      Starving Artist
      Ross Phillips

Wow. Sorry to hear you’re having so much trouble! Let us know how your other tactics work out for you…

• Ariel Alba
    Participant
    Shred Points: 57
    Journeyman Shredder
    Ariel Alba

I second the idea of taking yoga! If you get a chance to go to the university’s yoga class, I’d say do it. If not, there’s some good routines that Adriene Mishler has on YT. Some of them are short enough to do on a break from practice.
    I also suggest walking/jogging for about 20-40 minutes. I plug in my earbuds and go for a walk every other morning.

I prefer to do these early in the morning so it gets the juices flowing for the rest of the day and it takes me less time to warm up before actual practice.
    I hope this helps!